Sunday, May 20, 2012

"11 hour sleepover with strangers"

'Sleeping' on the airplane is always a challenge. I laughed to myself as I was boarding the plane yesterday, thinking "I am about to have a huge sleepover...with lots of strangers." Well,  'sleep' is used loosely - crying babies, a chair for a bed, trying not to touch your neighbor and the loud national who decides the middle of the night is a great time to have a shouted discussion. Not to mention having an aisle seat, so when your row-mates have to use the loo, one's 'sleep' is limited.

All that to say, the flight was pretty smooth. The food was alright. I also had a seat two rows from the front. What killed me was all the empty first class seats - I almost just moved there in the middle of the night. "Coulda, woulda, shoulda but I didn't do that" as Celine Dion would say.

I was only slightly nervous, this being the longest flight I've been on, and at that, alone. I have been realizing as I sit here waiting for my final flight, how much I learned even about traveling internationally last year when I was on STINT. I am very thankful for those experiences that have made me an aware and fairly confident traveler. Don't worry mom (and other moms out there), I will be safe and won't put myself in unsafe situations.

Favorite moments so far:
- The little boy on the first flight who was so aware of the airplane, and asking a million questions about flying.
- The middle eastern music playing throughout the airports.
- Seeing all these women wearing/traveling in wedge heals! I love wedges. I want to buy another pair when I get back. The only pair I currently have, I bought when I was in high school - last time they were fashionable :)
- An email from a national friend I am hoping to spend some time with during my time here.

More to come....

1 comment:

  1. praying for you. can't wait to hear the details when you get back

    ReplyDelete