Wednesday, April 10, 2013

April 10th 1998

15 years ago, God spared my life.

I grew up just down the street from my cousins, the Waldos. Eight of them and five of us made a large, fun group of friends to be around. We played together daily - pretend house, street hockey, back yard soccer, bike rides, caught crayfish in the creek - things kids did before electronics took over :)

On this day, after walking back from the library, we decided to play tag in their back yard. Before the game started, we all decided the back door would be the "safe base". Running all around their back yard, we were enjoying the warmer April afternoon. Minutes into the game, I was being chased by my cousin who was "it", so I booked it for the back door.

Their house is one of the several Victorian era homes in Northville, so while it is a beautiful home, it's materials were older. The back door, a singular French style door, had very thin glass. Upon my arrival to the door, my left hand went through shattering the glass. My wrist was cut open, artery sliced - blood gushing out every time my little 10 year old heart beat.

Blood was squirting every where on their white deck. My aunt called 911 and in moments, the ambulance was there to whisk me away to the ER.  My cousin Leah, also was injured as glass shot into her arm during my impact to the door.

What made this all even more crazy, is both of my parents were out of town - and this is pre-cell phone era! My Grandma was at home watching my little brothers. She quickly came over, dropped off the boys with my aunt, and headed to the hospital with me and my cousin.

After lots of Novocaine, cleaning the wound and being sown up - which resulted in 20+ stitches, we eventually headed home. The doctors said I lost a lot of blood for a 10 year old.

But praise God He had His hand of protection watching over Leah and me! He obviously had more in plan for each of our lives.


"...in Your Book were written, every one of them,
the days that were formed for me..." (Psalm 139:16)



1 comment:

  1. Soooo thankful to our Lord for protecting my little girl!!! What a day, Hannah.

    ReplyDelete