Monday, December 24, 2012

Which one do you fall into?


Around Christmas time, seeing extended family is always a tradition. Hugs, food, laugher, stories, new members of the family (both married and born), gift exchanges, picture opportunities, Christmas decorations, the list goes on and on…

As I’ve noticed, it’s funny that when all my siblings are all back together under the same roof, we fall right back into our “pecking order”. It might be because I am getting ready to move down to Orlando, but also seeing all this family has made me a bit introspective and observant of birth order traits and personalities.

You have your oldest child (I found these off a website as I was researching)(which I fall into many of these "oldest" categories): Natural leaders, high achievers, may be bossy or know-it-all, organized and prompt, seeks attention in both positive and negative ways, controlling, and may be come compliant and nurturing.

Then there is middle children: Flexible, independent, mediator or negotiator, may feel life is unfair, highly adaptable, generous and sociable, perceive youngest or oldest child are the parents “favorites”, rebellious, attention seeking and competitive.

And don’t forget baby! They can be: silly or funny, risk takers, creative, very self-centered, highly competitive, bored easily, friendly and outgoing, expect others to take care of them, idealistic, and can be equally charming and manipulative.

Because I obviously am the oldest child, I have been closely observing other oldest children and seeing both the positive and negative traits. Its made me want to be careful in how I interact with my siblings because, coupled with my personality, I could be overpowering, as I’ve seen others do. 

All in all, I am thankful for my family as loud, crazy, and off-the-wall as we are. God gave us each other because He knew it would be good for us!

Throw back: Christmas 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment