Sunday, December 2, 2012

"Do you smell like Jesus?"

In my quiet time this week, I was reading in 2 Corinthians. Paul was writing to the church in Corinth to address some issues of the early church. 

"But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere. For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing..." 2 Corinthians 2:14-15

These verses struck a cord in me. Wow - do my actions, character and words reflect Christ toward others? Unfortunately, not always. As I become older, I realize the "ugliness" of living out of my own abilities (or 'living out of my flesh' according to "Christianese" haha). As Christians, we have been given the gift of the Spirit, not only to assure our eternal destination, but to live out of His strength in loving others.

I like the picture these verses paint, as the idea is something everyone - Christian and non-Christian alike - can envision. This is what came to my mind: when you walk through a department store, generally you know right where the perfume section is located. Sometimes it's overwhelming actually. But the idea that you know what that counter is all about, just by being near it, is somewhat motivating for me. When others are near me, I want them to, in some way, be encouraged, feel loved and cared for because of the Spirit at work in me. What's cool too, is that He takes the lead. You don't have to be this 'super-Christian' on your own. Man, that would be exhausting! 

I leave you with this video for kicks and giggles...

No comments:

Post a Comment