Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Labelled: The Z Squad

Last night, I attended a new Bible study from the church I visited on Sunday. It has great potential of being my "church home" for my time here in Orlando.

It was somewhat refreshing being the "n00b" to the group. Just go and attend, maybe chirp in here and there. Growing up in the church with my natural strengths (and weaknesses), I always managed to be apart of some sort of leadership team. And I loved it.

It still, however, was refreshing to be the new girl (not quite Zooey Deschanel-like, but I do like to make others laugh) and remember the perspective of being an outsider.



The group and church, is going through a series on "Lies We Believe". Last night, we talked about shame. Feeling shamed, shaming others, shaming yourself...

As I sat there and listened to the girls, I started thinking about areas of my life I've felt shame or shamed others. As most of you know, I was home schooled. In high school, I did attend the public school for electives. I was looking forward to it for various reasons, one being largely surrounded by non-Christians. Growing up, my core group of friends were fellow Believers. And I am still thankful to this day I still consider them friends. Attending the public high school, I saw I could invite these new friends to youth group, retreats, church etc.

Weeks in to freshman year, a kid had labeled me and a few others "The Z Squad". I later learned it mean the Zealot Squad, and he meant it negatively (why are kids so mean??). I was so over high school and ready for college - even after the first day, freshman year. Reaching out to non-Christian friends became a struggle as I was apart of groups that morphed and changed dynamics through out the years or even the extent of being pushed out of cliques. Who wants to feel unwanted? It's safe to say, my college years were much better - friendships, ministry, the experience as a whole - much better.

Anyways, I am thankful that the "shameful" example I thought of didn't weigh me down for forever. By God's grace, He revealed truth to me that what others think of me doesn't matter - especially when it comes to graciously sharing the gospel. And again by His grace, for this season of life, He has lead me to be a missionary. Psh and I'm even using my college degree of marketing to do it!

#whoknew #lieswebelieve #HeRedeems #thezsquad

No comments:

Post a Comment