Sunday, December 1, 2013

..The taste of death...

Yes, it is something for the mind to truly chew on. (Note: this really isn't a dark post.)

Since June, I've experience great loss: my generous Grandma Booth, my sweet Great Aunt Doris (both of whom had personal relationships with God) and my favorite childhood dog, Rocky; all passed away. Each of them left a great impression on my life ...and I won't go on to comment about animals after death... but I do want to talk about death.

Tonight, I was reading in Hebrews 2, and verse 9 caught my attention:

"...But we see Him who for a little while was made lower than the angels, namely Jesus, crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God He might taste death for everyone."

Death really isn't something everyone experiences. Death is eternal separation from God - which yes, happens when someone passes away, but only for those who never chose that personal relationship with God. Unfortunately, our world has perfected its art of distraction when it comes to keeping people away from a relationship with God.

Death was the agony Jesus truly felt when His physical body was dying on the cross - not really the physical pain. Because, out of this crazy love for us, He took on all sins of all man of all time as He hung on the cross, separation from the Father was a must. God could not and will not be connected to sin. And because of that, with all foreknowledge for both of Them, Jesus had to be separated from the Father.  

Death.

But there is light at the end of the tunnel! Which is the whole purpose of Jesus' life - which we are about to celebrate His birthday in a few weeks...
He came to taste DEATH so we didn't have to, and so we could truly live! And that is what one thing I want to keep in the foreground of my perspective this Christmas season.


No comments:

Post a Comment