Tuesday, September 11, 2012

"So, wait... you are home? For how long? Why?"

Yes. It is true. I am home in Michigan... and at that, for a while. Being on staff with Campus Crusade for Christ essentially means being a missionary. I think traditionally (as a kid this is what I thought too), when people think of missionaries,  they think of overseas, using a Bible to point others to Christ while living in the bush of Africa.

But, in fact, being a missionary can mean living in the United States also. Which is what I get to do! Eventually, I will be doing ministry with Jesus Film down in Orlando, Florida at the headquarters for Campus Crusade for Christ.

The Jesus Film was started in 1979, and is a docudrama of the gospel of Luke from the Bible. In the last 30+ years, the film has been translated into more that 1,180 languages! It is reported that 225 million people have come to know Christ as their personal Savior after watching the film in their own native tongue. We have new projects and tools that will help make these films, as well as other Jesus Film products, available to everyone - missionary or corporate individual, in the bush of Africa or in the suburb of Detroit.

The front end of a missionaries job is to partner with people, both in prayer and finances. Which brings me to explain why I am home: home to meet with current and new supporters. (I'm also excited to be home for a Michigan fall! Beautiful weather!!) People who have a heart for Jesus Film ministry, people who want the gospel to be shared across the world, people who have a desire to support missionaries, people who see their calling as "sending and supporting" verses " going to the field", and people who just like to be generous or people who God has called them to give. Maybe you fall into one of those categories...

The other day, God graciously reminded me that is nothing I say or do or show to people I meet with that persuades them to give. Three weeks ago, I met with a family, who ended up deciding not to support me. This past Sunday, with a beaming smile, she gave me a hug and wrote me a check saying God had been working on their hearts and wanted them to support me - $1,200!!?!

What does my week look like? Phone calls, working through a seminary class, thank you cards, emails, voice mails, prayer letters, keeping track of supporters giving, phone calls, follow up conversations, writing blogs, meeting with people, and more phone calls! I am learning to be content in whatever the circumstance (Phil.4:11), while also looking forward to actually starting the position with Jesus Film down in Orlando!

So, I will be home for a few months while I meet with people and share about the ministry God has called me to for the next couple years of my life. I could be home till next month, January 2013, August 2013 or really any time - it's completely up to God's timing.


"And my God will supply every need of yours according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:19 

No comments:

Post a Comment